Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ready to freeze!


Ready for freeze!, originally uploaded by Patty ODIER.

Since Noelia started to eat solid a month and half ago, I have been making so many puree veggies and fruits and stored them in the freezer. Now, I realize that I need a bigger fridge and more ice cube trays to store them.

This is her favourite so far, sweet potato puree with pear or cereal. We are trying to stay far from commercial baby jar. Well, I bought 1 jar of baby food which now I reuse the jar to keep homemade baby puree sealed when we are travelling out. With intense ads about choosing the best for the baby is commercial baby jar, it wasn't easy for me at the beginning until I've done my research. I found out that a jar of commercial baby food contains water and modified starch. Even baby juice are just a rip-off! It's really sweet like adult juice...why would I pay more for baby juice which it supposed to be diluted 3x the portion to give to baby. I should get adult juice and diluted to give baby.

Although it looks healthier with organic food jar, they contain additives such as sugar, salt and thickener. They may lose nutritional value from processing and shelf time. Talking about 'healthier' organic baby food jar, they may put one organic ingredient and claim 'organic' for the rest of the content. It's purely agressive marketing! I'm so not going to buy this cheap marketing....Those were the days where new parents buy commercial baby food so it will be perceived well-to do and modern.

Last weekend, I managed to compile a list of nutritional value of fruits and veggies. I carefully selected the menu for Noelia to fulfil her needs for certain vitamin. We observe her stools to find out if certain foods may affect her. Once we found that her stools were a bit harder, so I got her brocolli, banana, and apple. I steamed and then put them in food processor. The other benefit we get from this home made puree which sometimes lumpy (not-so-puree) will get the baby to chew the food. This is good because the muscles to chew the food are the same muscles used for speech, so chewing will help with the baby's speech development.

And I am getting addicted to make this baby puree!

I hope she will get used to it with quality food rather than burger, (oily) french fries and fried chicken (KFC). Yiikkees! Read more about Cheating Babies here.

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com - background image by Wagner Campelo