Monday, July 14, 2008

Goodie Bags = Happiness?


DSC01781, originally uploaded by Patty ODIER.

I joined the Harmony Walk 2008 on the 6th of July, organised by Community Development Councils and grass roots leaders in Singapore. It was just 30 minutes walk where we were entertained by diversity of music, dance, singing, foods from all over Singapore. The message was simple, to encourage communication to all different races to achieve unity in this little country.

I came with friends from the Baha'i Community of Singapore. I was really proud to be able to join this event. Finally, no baby for a day! It is easy when my mom is around, Noelia is having fun at home with her. My husband took me there and left immediately for his meditation session at 8.30 am.

In the finish line, I saw the crowd re-grouped into different CDC or ethnicity again. This time, they distributed orange goodie bags and they looked really proud carrying them. On the stage, the entertainment from different ethnic groups has begun. I regretted what I saw everywhere on the grass field. There were Paper styrofoams, plastic spoons and other garbages including these paper goodie bags.... people are gonna toss them in the bin after usage. The organizer produce hundreds of them, why are using them if we are aware that this will create more waste in this planet?
Furthermore, paper comes from trees...lots and lots of trees. The process of chopping the trees down, colouring, bleaching etc for plastic or paper bags are threatening this dirty earth
.

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com - background image by Wagner Campelo