Thursday, February 5, 2009

La Crepe


La Chandeleur, Crêpe day, which happens today on 2nd February. I like crêpes so much and that's why I wrote about them now.If you happen to visit France, you will see many crepe stands and creperies all over. That is the indication of popularity of this delicate pancakes which they make it sense to dedicate a whole day to celebrate it. It is called "La Chandeleur" the holiday that celebrate the return of spring. It is also known as Crepe Day.

The thin pancake is made of flour, eggs, milk, sugar (options), and butter. The difference between pancakes and crepe are the thickness, the size and the way we serve it. Personally, I am not a fan of pancakes (especially US MacDonalds breakfast) because that maple syrup to go with them is killing the taste and you get full easily. Meanwhile, crepe is much more versatile and can be eaten rolled with just butter and sugar, ham and egg, cheese and vegetables. One of my favourite dishes is crepe suzette, which are filled with orange sauce and flammed.

On my the recent trip to La Croisic (Bretagne Sud), north-west of France we saw many creperies around. This is where crepe originated, savoury versions called "gallette" are popular.

Today I made a couple of crepe with eggs and ham for lunch. It took a couple of minutes for Noelia to acquire the taste but she finished her portion. I do not give salt and sugar for her food, but I encourage the variety of foods such as vegetables and herbs. Because I believe eating is not only to make us full and satisfied, but to enjoy the diversity of taste and knowledge.

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com - background image by Wagner Campelo